This 2023 it has been predicted that the cold season will last until May. And since we know that the cold can be a limitation for riding a bike, we leave you with some basic tips so that nothing stops you.
- Wrap up well
The first thing you should consider when shooting this season is having the right clothing. Do it in the following way:
- Apply different layers. For the first layer, wear thin clothing and preferably cotton, in this way it will absorb sweat and offer you greater comfort. About that we recommend you to wear some kind of thermal clothing or to keep the heat. And as the last layer, the ideal is to use something that repels the cold from the outside, such as a windbreaker.
- Cover your head so you stay warm. You can wear ear muffs or a hat under the helmet. Something that is very useful this season is the typical neck cover, it covers ears, mouth and nose. And since cold air isn’t so friendly to your eyes either, keep them safe with good glasses, but make sure they’re well ventilated and don’t fog up.
- Don’t forget the gloves. It is very important to avoid cooling your hands, this to have good movement when braking or turning.
- Safety first
With the low temperatures our muscles are stiffer than usual, which could hinder our walking and even decrease our reflexes. Keep the following in mind to be extra cautious:
- Start slowly to warm up your muscles, little by little you will be able to speed up the pace and avoid hurting yourself.
- Stay visible. This applies in any season, but normally when it is cold, people take longer to react and being visible to other vehicles will help you prevent traffic events. Try to use some type of reflective, or brightly colored garments, you can also lean on the bell to notify your presence when crossing a street.
- Be predictable. You achieve this by following a straight trajectory (not zigzagging), carrying a moderate speed and maintaining the rhythm.
- Regulate your temperature
To avoid drastic temperature changes as much as possible, we recommend:
- Before you shoot, have a cup of hot coffee or tea.
- Along the way you will warm up, try to unbutton the outer layer a bit to acclimatize your body. In the same way, throughout your journey, remember to breathe through your nose and not through your mouth, so you will prevent cold air from passing directly into your throat and lungs.
- Upon arrival at your destination, wait for your body to get used to the place before removing all layers of clothing.
With these tips, the cold season will not prevent you from moving in ECOBICI. Do you know any other tips for riding in this weather? Tell us on our social networks!